Going Vegan was one of the scariest moment of my adult life. Meat was a part of who I was. Could I live without meat? It was a cold wintry morning when I decided to get on my bathroom scale and that was my breaking point. I knew I had to get control over my eating and that was the day a new me was born.
I have been on this Vegan journey since January and I am loving it. There are 10 reasons why it rocks to be Vegan:
1. Saving the planet that we live on: reducing the spread of viruses between humans and animals.
2. Animal lives matter: by going Vegan we are sparing the senseless killings of animals. In my heart, I believe no living creature should ever be exploited.
3. Lowering the rate of heart disease: Vegans are consuming more frequent intake of fruits, vegetables, grains, and nuts which in turns increases ones daily fiber intake and antioxidants.
4. Decreasing the risk of certain cancers: researchers believe by avoiding dairy products can reduce the risk of prostate cancer in men. You can reduce your risk of colon and rectum cancer by avoiding red and processed meats. It was found that women with a history of breast cancer should consume soy products to reduce the recurrent of breast cancer. Just eating a plant-based diet can reduce other types of cancer that were not mentioned above.
5. Salmonella poisoning: as a Vegan, you do not have to worry about cross contaminating your chicken and vegetables any longer so your stress level is decreased tremendously.
6. No more spending another penny on Metamucil: because a plant-based diet is high in fiber.
7. New found community: there are several Vegan blogs you can follow, awesome YouTube channels featuring some amazing Vegan recipes, and the forums are excellent just a bunch of wonderful support in the Vegan community. I’m the only Vegan in my family so I turn to these platforms in order, to gain the needed support regarding my Vegan journey.
8. Cheaper: have you guys seen the prices on some of these meat items. On my recent trip to the grocery store I priced two steaks at 30.00 and my Vegan grocery hauls I spend 40.00 for a week worth of food. Being Vegan continues to ROCK.
9. Weight loss: since going Vegan I have lost over 30 pounds.
10. Increased energy level: I have amazing energy I can bust out an hour gym session without a problem. When I ate meat I needed a nap not the gym. Being Vegan truly ROCKS.
As a former bedside nurse, I saved lives. As a Family Nurse Practitioner I diagnose, treat, and manage diseases and conditions so now I’m saving nonhuman lives.